Friday, April 5, 2013

Day 4: Coconut Butter and the Last Cake Tasting with my Sister...

Did I mention how grateful I am for plantain chips?? Seriously, it's my lifesaver through this Whole30 challenge (so far...).  However, I need to be careful because I can seriously finish a bag of them in NO TIME!  However, I have to admit that the plantain chips are very filling and I haven't craved nor felt hungry all afternoon (I had them for lunch along with my Five Guys bun-less burger again... I know, I won't have another one this week or next).

What worried me tonight was my sister's last cake tasting for her wedding.  I scheduled most of my sister's wedding cake tasting and had scheduled her last one for April 4th because the reviews for this place were so hot that I had to fit it in!  This was before I knew the Whole30 challenge was going to be in April (or I would have found a way to squeeze it in March).  I was actually scared I would cheat tonight because the last few times I went cake tasting with her... I ended up finishing most of the cakes (well, me and her fiancee).  I have a serious sweet tooth, really.

The cake place served up some serious cakes.  They provided samples of: red velvet, traditional, almond mousse, white cake with strawberry filling, white cake with raspberry filling, lemon mousse, Italian cream, strawberry, and a few others that I've forgotten.  I was actually sad because the place smelled wonderful when we entered and I really wish it was still March!  However, I was super good and only drank water.

Later, my sister did tell me that it was a good thing I didn't cheat for those cakes because she didn't think it was worth it.  The cakes we had in March were better - whew! If anything, I'm glad this was the last cake tasting for us because she made her decision! So I survived her last cake tasting and I had a few spoonful of coconut butter once I got home.  That made it all better for me.

Speaking of coconut butter, you're probably wonder what it is.  It's just coconut flakes that has gone through the food processor and it turns into this creamy, sweet "butter".  It's all natural and very good as a snack!  I'll just give you a quick recipe on that to prove how easy it is to make coconut butter.

Ingredients:
  • Unsweetened Coconut Flakes or Shreds (1 bag)
Directions:
  1. Empty the bag of coconut flakes into your food processor.
  2. Turn your food processor on and let it go for about 8 minutes.
  3. Check to see if you need to stop the food processor and scrap down the coconut.
  4. Around 8 minutes you will see the flakes turn into this creamy substance.
  5. Empty the butter out into a mason jar (or jar of your choice).
  6. ENJOY! 




No comments:

Post a Comment