Monday, April 1, 2013

Whole30 - Day 1: Of Course I Made It! (plus Turkey Sloppy Joe Recipe)

Day one is always the "yay, I feel great! Mission accomplished for now!" but we'll see how it goes when the weekend approaches.  I did prep myself by reading the Whole30 forums all weekend and I think I have it down (somewhat). 

For breakfast, I had 2 soft-boiled eggs with half an avocado and some tomato slices.  It was actually pretty filling because I wasn't hungry at my usual time (between 10:30AM-11AM).  I also had coffee with whipped coconut milk (from the can!).  I was actually amazed by how it good that milk was.  I've found a recipe for creamer that is Whole30 compliant, but I am not brave enough to try it (yet).  It's basically a can of coconut milk, an egg, and a tsp. of coconut oil all mixed together.  I'll be honest, it's the raw egg that bothers me.  I am very... oh, let's say "O.C.D." about salmonella.  I dislike prepping chicken and when I do, I clean and sanitize every. surface. area. of. my. kitchen.  That being said... raw eggs... yes, not sure when I'll try it, but will update when I do!

For lunch, I had turkey sloppy joe except without the bread.  The sloppy joe was made right from my kitchen and the recipe is super yummy!  In fact, I used to make this before I went on paleo and loved it with the 100 calories sandwich thins (with an actual burger bun is super delish too). Oh, and with mustard!

However, you may also eat it on it's own or with lettuce (kinda like a lettuce wrap but with juices coming out).  I actually enjoyed this meal so much that I had it again for dinner!  Now, you're wondering how this is compliant... well, no worries... I'm sharing this recipe with you :)


Turkey Sloppy Joe
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb of ground turkey or beef 
  • 2 tsp of coconut oil (or olive oil)
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 3 tbsp of tomato paste 
  • 1 cup carrots, grated
  • 1 can (15 oz) of tomato sauce
  • 4 pitted dates, diced
  • 5 tsp of ground yellow mustard
  • 4 tsp of balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 c and 2 tbsp of water
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper (or 1 jalapeno, diced) but this is optional if you like spicy food
  • Lettuce or burger buns (depending on what you like) 
Directions:
  1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil.
  2. Add onions and bell peppers - cook until onions are translucent (about 4-5 minutes).
  3. Stir in tomato paste, carrots, and 2 tbsp of water - cook until carrots are tender (about 2 minutes). Remember to stir occasionally!
  4. Add ground meat and cook until it is no longer pink.  Stir and break up the meat as it cooks.
  5. Stir in tomato sauce, dates, vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 cup of water.  Bring to a boil.
  6. Reduce heat to low, add the red crushed peppers or jalapeno, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. 
  7. Serve with bread (if you have no restrictions) or with lettuce!

No comments:

Post a Comment