Thursday, April 18, 2013

Days 12 -16: Thai Red Curry with Ground Turkey

As you've all heard by now, something tragic happened at the Boston Marathon.  I am still shocked and have been very disturbed by it.  Before I actually get on my soap box about this topic, let me go ahead and move on to my Whole30 experience so far (and another recipe).

Over the weekend, I was in Austin, TX for a few reasons: to celebrate a friend's birthday, to hang out with a girlfriend of mine, and to run the Austin 10/20.  What's the Austin 10/20? I'm glad you asked! It's a 10 mile race with 20 bands - very similar to the Rock n' Roll half/full marathon series.  This past race was the second race for Austin 10/20 and they are going to try and start a series.  There's a race coming up next year in San Diego, California for their 10/20.  Pretty awesome!

I think being on Whole30 affected my race in a not so pleasant way.  First, I was a good minute slower than usual and second, I injured myself.  Now, I did contribute to the injury by running cold - meaning, I did not warm-up nor did I go out for any runs the week leading up to the race.  However, I did hit a wall and was not able to get out from it.  I was really disappointed with my time.  What I didn't do, and I knew I should have, was go on the Whole30 forum for athletes.  On there, many people have posted about what to eat the day before, day of, and during the race.  I messed up in so many ways...

First, I didn't have a carb-heavy meal the day before.  I actually went to a vegetarian restaurant because my girlfriend wanted to try it out.  I'll be honest, a salad to me is not a meal at all.  I need and want protein with every meal and that didn't happen on this trip (not an issue, I'll mark it as a learning how to eat away from home).  I even bought 2 bags of plantain chips (they're compliant) and that wasn't helpful either.

Second, 2 hours before the race I had a burger patty with an egg and mixed fruits.  For some reason, I felt my burger at about mile 7 and it was not comfortable.  Honestly, I wouldn't have had a burger patty before a race, but I was away from home and didn't want to be bothersome to my friend so I brought that patty from home (it was easy to nuke in the morning!).  Anyway, it was a mistake and now I think I know better and will be testing  out some pre-race breakfast items.

Third, (and I've mentioned this earlier)... I did not run at all the week leading up to the race.   Not the best idea when you're suppose to be training properly (and I obviously did not).  No worries, I am seeing a physical therapist this Friday and hopefully it's nothing bad.

Okay, I promised ya'll a recipe and here it is:

Thai Red Curry with Ground Turkey:
  • 1 lb of ground turkey (or your preferred choice of protein)
  • 1 tsp of coconut oil
  • 1 cup of carrots, diced
  • 1/2 an onion, sliced 
  • 1 - 2 tbsp of red curry paste (I use Thai Kitchen)
  • 1 can of coconut milk
  • 1 tsp of ground ginger 
  • 1 tsp of fish sauce (I use Red Boat)
  • 1 tsp of coconut amino 
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp of red crushed peppers (optional)
Directions:
  1. Heat a large sauce pan over medium-high heat.
  2. Add oil and brown the ground meat (add salt and pepper for more flavors to your meat).  Remove the meat once it's browned.
  3. In the same pan, add the coconut milk and curry paste and stir together.  Throw in the onions and carrots.  Cook for about 5 minutes and stir occasionally. 
  4. Then add the ground ginger, coconut amino, fish sauce, and meat.
  5. Serve over cauliflower rice (with red pepper flakes if you like it spicy) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment