Sunday, August 8, 2010

Gigi's Asian Bistro & Dumpling Bar

I've walked passed Gigi's many times while shopping at the Galleria. Since I've only seen the "bar" side of the restaurant, I always thought it was a narrow place for one to get a quick bite of dumplings. However, this place is deceiving! It only looks small, but it actually have a nice size dining area and two bar areas.

Even so, I was wary of going into this place because its inside the Galleria and I figured it'll be expensive and pretentious. Now, I will pay for good food, but I have a problem when it comes to expensive Chinese food! One can get super good Chinese food for a good deal- trust me! However, since it was Restaurant Week (where there's a set menu and part of the proceeds goes to charity), I decided to venture in and see if I'd recommend this place.

The decor is super pretty! In the dining area, there are cherry blossoms hanging from the ceiling. The place has a chic-lounge like feel to it. It's a nice place to take someone on a first date since it does give you the sense of privacy in the dining area. However, the service was okay. My server wasn't that great. For the prices on the menu, you'd expect fabulous service, but he was not attentive and rarely paid attention to my table.

From the Restaurant Week menu, I tried the Hot Tuna Sashimi with Citrus Soy and Sizzling Oil, which was basically seared tuna. The seared tuna tasted just like anywhere other sushi restaurant. I was not impressed with it. I also tried the Tapioca-Wrapped Crawfish Dumplings, which resembles the "shrimp dumplings" one orders during dimsum. The crawfish dumpling were not good! It had a "fishy" taste to it and I could barely finish the bite I took. Again, not impressed with their appetizers.


Luckily, the entrees were better. I had the Pan Seared Filet Mignon, which I thought was a whole piece of filet, but the beef was actually diced. This plate resembled the Vietnamese "diced beef" or "bo luc lac". The filet was tender and juicy, but the pieces were too chunky. You still need a steak knife to be able to enjoy it. However, the filet was delicious. It had a tangy and sweet taste to it and it was a bit spicy. The filet was also served with diced sweet potato and watercress. Since the watercress was not cooked, I didn't try it (its usually bitter when its not cooked), but the diced sweet potato was yummy! I think I enjoyed the sweet potato more than the filet itself.

Another entree I tried was their Thai-Style Crispy Duck Fajita. This was honestly the best thing there that evening. It was very flavorful and colorful. It looks just like a fajita plate but with sliced duck. It's almost a cross between Peking Duck and Duck Fajitas. The bread that comes with this plate is not tortillas or the bread that normally comes with Peking Duck, but its the Chinese/Taiwanese crispy bread (I am sorry if its confusing, but I don't know how else to describe it!). The duck was sliced, crispy and tasty (with the skin still attached to it). The menu claims there's pineapple in the entree and there was none. However,they did bring sliced avocado on the side and it did make the fajitas even more delicious with it! This dish also comes with three different sauces, but since it was basically Peking Duck in a different "form," I mainly used the oyster sauce. If you do go to Gigi's, this is definitely something you should try.

For dessert, I tried the Chocolate Molten Cake and the Strawberry Cream Cake. The strawberry cake was not that great. It was more cake than cream, but the cake was fluffy. You couldn't really taste the strawberries and it was served with chocolate ice cream - not the best combination. The Chocolate Molten Cake was much better than the strawberry cake. It was yummy and was paired with vanilla ice cream; however, the molten cake looked like dung (seriously) and it kinda took away its appeal at first.

Now, I did compare the regular menu to the Restaurant Week ("RW") one and Gigi's menu does not have any of the RW entrees. But, if the RW's entrees were just decent, I doubt their regular menu is amazing or fabulous. Again, the regular menu is pricy- somewhat comparable to P.F. Chang's, and I'd rather eat at P.F. Chang's than at Gigi's.

No comments:

Post a Comment