Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hillstone (formerly Houston)

Recently, we had friends in town and decided to dine somewhere "fancy." We headed over to Houston restaurant on Kirby; however, to our surprise the name was changed to Hillstone.  Now, just because the name changed does not mean the menu changed (thank goodness!).  Houston is part of the Hillstone Restaurant Group so don't worry.  

We went to Hillstone on a Saturday night (7:30pm) and to our surprise there was no wait.  We were seated promptly for a party of 5.   But... it was during Rodeo so that could be the reason why.

Anyways, the server here was pretty attentive.  Since I wasn't really hungry that evening (I know... I was surprised myself too), I ordered their Prime Rib (cooked medium rare of course).  The steak came out PERFECT!  It was tender, juicy, and just melts in your mouth!  This dish comes with a side of french fries (I think), but I subbed it with a baked potato.  Now, what made that steak so wonderful was the au jus. So if you order this, do not forget to dip that piece of goodness in the au jus! 

I also had their caesar salad prior to the meal and it was delish.   The romaine lettuce was fresh and crisp.  I forgot to request the server to place the dressing on the side; however, the salad was mixed well and it wasn't soggy.  Please keep in mind that the salad is HUGE so consider sharing it with another person. 

Regarding drinks... a friend of mine ordered Dr. Pepper and the server brought him a bottled DP (which means no refills and DP is made with imperial cane sugar).  Just FYI for those of you who must have the unlimited refills.  

Another random thing is their "check tray."  The tray felt like it was made of stainless steel or sterling silver (basically it was heavy)!  It was definitely an item to boost the ambiance of the venue and illustrate the class of the restaurant.  It was also something my table wanted to jack (but we didn't, I promise).  

I was not able to get any good shots of my meal so I apologize for no photos :(  It was dark and I was using my phone (I know... ghetto).  But, I will visit Hillstone again and I will bring a camera with me the next time I venture out there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment