Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Anvil... heaven in your mouth!

RAMOS GIN FIZZ!!! My favorite drink in the whole wide world!  ::clears throat:: This will explain how fabulous this drink is... it comes with a DISCLAIMER!  So let me give you the outline of this disclaimer:
  1. it takes 15-20 minutes for the bartender to shake up this drink, and 
  2. it costs $20.

Yes, it's a $20 drink, but it's worth every penny!  Now, if you know me... you would know that I am "allergic" to alcohol (meaning I turn red after one sip- and yes, it's the Asian gene) and I can always taste alcohol no matter what's mixed in it, etc.  However, when I take one sip of Ramos Gin Fizz... it just tastes so heavenly and I forget that there's alcohol!  This milkshake-looking drink is made with an egg, which is why it takes the bartender about 15 minutes to shake it.  The freshly shaved nutmeg on top of this drink makes the experience that much better... and for $20, this drink is pretty potent.  You might not think this drink is strong, but after you're done with one, it'll hit you.  FYI: I think they took this off the menu, but you can still order it.  

Alright, let's talk about the venue and the menu.  If it wasn't clear, this bar is called Anvil and it is located in the Montrose area (in Houston, TX of course).  Anvil serves "old world drinks."  They make everything fresh and most of the drinks on the menu are made with gin.  They only have one type of vodka (and I forget which one it is, but its NOT Greygoose).  The beers are all on tap and its usually never the same beer.  Once the keg is done, they refill the tap with a different type of beer.  What is also unique about this place is their ice.  Depending on the drink, you either get pretty ice cubes or nicely shaved ice (like the ones from Sonic).  I don't know if its psychological, but for some reason the ice makes the drinks even more appealing.  

Keep in mind that this bar is small and it also gets pretty crowded.  It's also difficult to order drinks so know what you want and be nice to your buddies and get their drinks for them as well.  As you can tell from my blog, drink prices here are on the higher end.  Parking can also be a hassle, but this place is worth it.  

1 comment:

  1. Anvil is a great place to get hammered. Their bartenders take the time to really craft the drinks well. You might want to check out some classics you've probably had elsewhere--Anvil actually does the Manhattan and Old-Fashioned right, though those are more alcohol-y tasting drinks. Some girl-friendly drinks worth trying are the Bramble and the Maharajah Buck.

    Oh, and for parking, be careful of the neighborhood streets behind/North of Anvil. I dunno how many times I've seen or heard of cars towed there. If the lot is full, I recommend parking at the one-block city park that's 2 intersections North of Anvil.

    ReplyDelete