Friday, April 9, 2010

Lunch at Osaka

So for lunch the other day, I was craving for sushi and ended up at Osaka in the Montrose area. Funny thing is, I ended up getting the "Bento Japanese Lunch Box B," which includes 2 skewers of chicken with teriyaki sauce, vegetable tempura, pork gyozas, seaweed salad, and three slices of salmon sashimi (no sushi). The bento box also includes a cup of miso soup and creamy ginger salad.

The salmon sashimi was fresh and the slices were thick. The seaweed salad sits on top of sliced cucumbers, and it was also fresh and crisp! Initially when I tasted the chicken with the teriyaki sauce, the taste was not as sweet as your usual teriyaki chicken. However, after tasting the chicken on its own, you can taste that the chicken was marinaded with rice wine (something that I thought was unique). The chicken was juicy and delicious! The vegetable tempura, however, was a disappointment. I thought the vegetables were "over breaded" and all you're really eating is the breading. The plus side of it was the fact they had pumpkin tempura (my favorite!)!!

Before I forget, shrimp and vegetable tempura is usually what is served with the bento box, but I asked them to substitute the shrimp tempura for more vegetable, and I received gyozas instead. It was nice of them to be able to substitute that out since other restaurants refuse to do that for you.

The awesome thing about Osaka is their "freebies." Osaka gives you free appetizers and dessert. Usually for dinner you will get a gyoza (literally just one piece per person). During lunch, I got one piece of the Hawaiian sushi roll (which was delicious!). The Hawaiian sushi is made with crab, jalapeno, and mango, topped with white tuna and strawberry. That one bite was yummy and it made me feel healthy eating it too!

For dessert, Osaka usually serves you one scoop of ice cream (your choice of flavor: green tea, plum, mango, or ginger). I love the plum flavor! Green tea and mango is yummy too. The ginger, I heard, is also something for everyone to try.

Personally, I would like to come back here once a month for lunch. There are other better luncheon places if you're craving for the bento box (Fish is one of them, which I will blog about after I grab lunch there soon).

There are two locations of Osaka: one on Westheimer and the other on Bellaire blvd. Just so you know, I've only tried the restaurant off Westheimer and had no idea that the second location exists until recently.


photo.jpg
Bento Japanese Lunch Box B

photo.jpg
Hawaiian Roll (my free appetizer)

No comments:

Post a Comment